As promised, it’s time to celebrate National Heart Month and I have some healthy recipes to share! Today I present to you a quick and easy, healthy snack you can make for yourself and/or loved ones! My oldest son loves these quick little bites, I love them even more because I can get him to eat some healthy things by sneaking them into this recipe!
So here we go! And we’ve got three products that we enjoy in this recipe! We have McCann’s Irish Oatmeal, Breitsamer Honey and Hachez chocolate! Are you ready? It’s super easy to make and you’ll be enjoying a healthy snack in no time!
- 1 cup dry oatmeal
- 2/3 cup coconut flakes (toasted optional)
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed meal
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup (or so, I did less) chocolate chips or chopped chocolate (I used dark chocolate for this recipe)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Stir all ingredients together in a medium bowl until mixed throughly.
- Optional: Chill first in the refrigerator for half an hour, then roll into balls.
- OR roll into balls immediately after mixing. (Just a matter of preference, I have no issues rolling these before they are chilled.)
- Store in airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to one week.
These are quick and simple, and provide some healthy oatmeal power! When forming the balls, you can size them any which way, the ones I had rolled were about 1 inch or so in diameter. By the way, the mini Breitsamer Honey jars are just about perfect for the amount needed for this recipe and work PERFECT! Enjoy!!
The best part, as I say with any recipe, you can tweak this recipe to your own tastes and likes! I like adding the spices in to give these oatmeal bites some more pizzaz! Try them out and adjust them to your preference!
Making your own granola is super easy! Not only that, but I would say it’s pretty healthy compared to other store-bought items that are in your cupboard. Granola is handy to have and tastes great on top of yogurt, cereal, oatmeal and more! This recipe that I am going to share with you has been tweaked and modified from the original homemade granola recipe found here. The original recipe was double in size, I cut it down to half and adjusted from there. The beauty of granola and making homemade snacks and treats is that you can modify and adjust to your own liking. And that is what I did for today’s recipe using Breitsamer Rapsflower Blossom Raw Honey from Germany.
When I opened the jar of honey, the texture and the color of the honey were really unique and silky? Sounds weird, but silky is how I would describe the honey! You can see from the jar near the top and towards the bottom of the label how it looks like it spins within itself in the jar. It’s silly, but it’s really pretty! And it has an amazing flavor!
I made this recipe several years ago and I really enjoy it. I LOVE putting the granola on top of ice cream – especially a French Vanilla or Vanilla Bean flavored ice cream. It’s so delicious! You could even add some hot fudge and/or caramel sauce as well!
Homemade Granola Recipe
- 3 cups uncooked oats
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup extra fine almond flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup Breitsamer Rapsflower Blossom Raw Honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Combine oats, shredded coconut, almond flour, spices and salt in a large bowl. Mix well.
- In a saucepan, heat raw honey, coconut oil and vanilla until melted and warm.
- Pour the liquid mixture over the oat mixture and mix well.
- Spread evenly onto a cookie sheet or oven safe casserole dish (like I did). Press the granola down onto cookie sheet or into casserole dish with the back of a spoon. The more you press down on the granola, the more clump like it will become and stick together.
- Bake for approximately 40 minutes, mixing and stirring the granola half way through cooking time. (I like my granola a bit toasty with the coconut – so I added a few extra minutes, adjust cooking time to your preference.)
- Remove from oven and cool in the pan or casserole dish.
- Granola will harden and become more granola like the longer it sits.
- Store in an airtight glass container.